Why are nerds bullied?
There are many reasons why nerds are bullied. But often it’s because they have poor communication skills. This makes them unable to read the negative verbal cues of others and unskilled at resolving social conflict. Also, nerds often have a unique or different physical appearance that makes them the target of others.
Why do bullies bully?
There are many reasons why bullies bully. They can do it to gain power and to make themselves feel superior. They see violence and intimidation as acceptable behavior. They also lack the skills to behave any other way.
Types of bullying:
* Physical Bullying
* Relational Bullying (spreading gossip and rumors or excluding people in social situations)
* Peer Sexual Harassment
* Stereotyping (threats or bullying because of the victim’s race, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity)
* Cyber Bullying (bullying through e-mail, text messaging or other digital means)
Tips to stop bullying:
* Act brave. (Hold your head up and walk by as if you are not afraid of the bully. Bullies often pick on people they think are weak because they seem like easier targets.)
* Ignore the bully. (Bullies are often looking for a reaction so they will get more attention from their peers. Don’t give them any.)
* Stick up for other people. (If a bully does not get approval from his or her peers, he or she may stop the behavior.)
* Tell someone. (It’s important to set clear expectations of appropriate behavior.)
* Be a friend. (Plan to be with a friend whenever you are worried about a bully. Develop new friends by getting involved in hobbies, clubs, sports or other organizations.)
Don’t be a bully. And if you see someone being bullied, go stop it.
This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by the Concerned Bloggers Association. If you would like to become involved, please contact Marleen Vaughan for more information.
Posted by Paisley Mizin